Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Inverted Routine

So I've been at my new job for almost a month now...

My current daily work routine is almost completely inverted in comparison to "normal" working  hours. ie I go to work when others are finishing up for the day and I finish in the middle of the night, and by the time I'm in bed it's almost time to get up on the "normal" routine - for people on very early starts at least anyway.

The thing that didn't occur to me until recently is that not only are my working hours almost exactly the opposite of the norm, but that the "free" portion of the day comes at the opposite stage of the proceedings. For people on usual office hours - it's typical to wake up, go straight to work, come home, and then relax in the evening for a few hours before going to bed. For me it's the opposite: wake up, have lunch, have a few hours off to relax, then go to work - and then go straight to bed right after work.

Of course, this means that the "free" portion of my day has work hanging over it, meaning that it's potentially not as relaxing as it should be. Then again, it also means that you get to "sleep in" every day and wake up around lunchtime, which feels strangely luxurious in a world where having to force yourself out of bed in the mornings to go to work is such a near-universal "thing".

At any rate, it's interesting being on this new routine. When I'm trying to function on more "normal" hours during my days off, it feels a bit like being jetlagged, but it's not too bad. If I tried to shift my "free" portion of the day to after the work stage, then I'd definitely be completely screwed for functioning on the off days. This way I'm managing to (more or less) get back to normal on my days off.

No comments:

Post a Comment