Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2017

New Job!

I started a new job yesterday!

Technically, it's actually the same job (kitchen steward), and I'm still working for the same company. But now, instead of doing random shift work in different kitchens all over the place, I'll be on set hours, in one kitchen. I've also moved from Casual basis to Fulltime, so now I'll get sick leave and annual leave entitlements and the like. Also: my hours will mostly be 10:30am-6:30pm, with some variation in future possibly, but probably not much. The outlet I'm working for is a hotel lobby bar/coffee shop, and the kitchen is only open from 12noon to the early evening.

The last time I worked fulltime was way back in early 2011. So after six years of random odd shift work hours, it feels oddly luxurious and exotic to be on relatively "normal" hours again (although I'm still working weekends). Work doesn't start super early either, so it's about the best of both worlds for what I want at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see how my perception of the advantages and disadvantages of this move change over time. I think I'll definitely start to feel like I've got "more money than time" at some point, when it sinks in how it's just not always easy to take a few days off and go on a random little mini-holiday somewhere, or something.

Still, I'm happy I've made the move for now. It's especially awesome to have some off time in the evenings as a given.

No comments:

Post a Comment