Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Experiments in Hand Held Low Light II

So I went out tonight and did some more experiments with held-held low light. Much of it were attempts to capture the "gas brigades" at Crown with a fairly high shutter speed and the ISO cranked up. And then the rest of it were just random Southbank and St Kilda Road street scenes on my way home.

Verdict? As expected, it doesn't really work very well once it starts to get too dark. High ISO creates noise which is very hard to filter away (either during shooting or processing).

Still, I have a better idea now of what I can do with my Olympus OM-D EM-5 hand-held  (with my current lens anyway). For twilight and well-lit city streets at night, it's reasonably doable, at least from the point of view of amateur photography / holiday snaps. Anything more "serious" than that, and it definitely pays to keep the ISO as low as possible and use a tripod.

Anyway, here's a selection of pics from tonight's walk. Note the increasing noise towards the end...












No comments:

Post a Comment