Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Procrastination blues

Some days I just can't get anything done. Today was one of those days...

I got up, checked my email, checked Facebook and Twitter, checked AVEN, checked The Age website..........REPEAT, again and again!  Before I knew it, it was lunchtime, and then after lunch - even though I told myself I'd make the afternoon more productive than that - pretty much the same routine ensued. It is now after 5pm, and I've literally accomplished nothing all day. Oh, except that I went for a little walk after lunch and bought some grape tomatoes at the shops, as an after dinner snack for later.

All this would even be okay if the day had been marked in advance in my head as a lazy weekend day, but today was actually a normal weekday on which I actually wanted to accomplish something. I suppose the trouble was that it was all very vague, and the "plans" were all in my head. So I'm going to turn this around tomorrow - I've written down a list of things to do, on paper, and I'll actually put a line through each item on the list after each task is done.

For someone who got right through school and uni without ever keeping a formal diary or ever making todo lists, this actually feels slightly pathetic. I thought I had the mental discipline lately to not get myself into this kind of rut with my daily routine. But I guess in the last few days I've been feeling a bit de-motivated. I suppose it's a combination of the slow summer job market (for applying for trucking jobs) and a lack of hours these days in my casual hospitality job.

This kind of procrastination is a funny beast. It seems to cause a weird spiral of hopelessness and depression: you don't start doing anything because it feels like it would be pointless to do it. Of course, nothing gets done, and then you feel bad about not doing anything all day. Vicious circle.

But anyway - enough whining, more list-making! I'll do my best not to overdo the list, because that will just give me an excuse to start removing things from it. But gotta make it big enough to really feel like tomorrow is some kind of non-trivial accomplishment!

2 comments:

  1. I just downloaded chorechecklist (or something like that). It's a dotnetideas.com thing. I'm using it to get on top of the household chores because I'm too lazy to write a list of my own.

    PS. I don't work for dotnetideas.com by the way. I just figured your blog post needed a comment to make it feel loved.

    ReplyDelete