Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Shaving cream is a scam

Ever since I started shaving in my late teens, I've had times (on and off) when I experienced severe razor burn. This past year has been one of those times. I tried all sorts of shaving creams, including a whole bunch of rather expensive "sensitive skin" ones, but nothing really seemed to help. If anything, the more "fancy" ones seem to make it worse!

Solution? The simplest, cheapest skin creams or non-soap-based cleansers work the best. Not much science here (except for a ton of trial and error, which is "science" of sorts in itself I suppose) - but I'm guessing it has something to do with it being very simple. Minimal random ingredients which the skin might react to in weird subtle ways. Just a basic lubricating substance which makes the blade glide, and doesn't try to do anything too fancy to the skin.

So okay, maybe it's a stretch to say that all shaving cream is a scam - but in my case, it definitely seems that what works best is just the simplest neutral thing you can find that lubricates the skin and lets you shave with minimal drag. And minimal dermatological fuss with what it tries to do to your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment