Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

Impressions of Seymour

I had a day off work today, so I randomly went to Seymour.

It's been a while since I've done one of these little public transport daytrips into the countryside, so this morning I decided it was time to do one. I had no idea where I was going initially - I simply went to the main train station and jumped on the next train that was heading out of town. I ended up in Seymour simply because it was as far as my Melbourne public transport smart card goes on that line at the moment.

Seymour turned out to be the quintessential Victorian country town. More or less exactly as I expected. The biggest surprise was the number of military artifacts and monuments scattered around town - I later learned that this is due to the nearby Puckanpunyal military base.

Other than this, there were the usual (quite expected) signs of rural decay - small businesses that seem to be struggling, or outright abandoned. But other than a few isolated signs of this, the town is quite pretty and scenic. It's right in the middle of the Goulburn Valley and has some nice river views in places.

I mostly walked around the town centre and through some parkland by the Goulburn River. It was refreshing to come face to face with farm animals, and generally get my head out of the city for the afternoon!

Seymour Town Centre I
Seymour Town Centre II
Flowers And Plane Trees
Tank
Military Chopper
Decaying "D"
Peeling Paint And Sky
Overgrown Gate Lock
Abandoned Windmill
Goulburn River I
Goulburn River II
Cows
Goulburn River Reflections
"No Horses On Footway"


No comments:

Post a Comment